Out of Shape

Sometime last year, I realised I am very out of shape.

My clothes are tight and cling to my body in the most unflattering way. I don’t feel good about myself.

I’m not only talking about weight. I am overweight, yes, mainly because I love food and stress makes me overeat even more, but most people will still say I look fine. I know I don’t.

I struggle with my schedule and I hate gyms. Not a great combination. I hate repetition so lifting weights really does my head in. I can easily walk a few miles but find treadmills loathsome. I enjoy some Body Systems lessons but I find their schedule does not suit me.

Yesterday, I saw light at the end of the tunnel.

Mom is here (she arrived Saturday) and as I watched her get ready to go for a jog with Raven, I felt humiliated. She’s almost 68 and has all sorts of physical problems (including a bad knee and ankle that need constant monitoring) on top of her mental health issues. She was stretching excitedly when I decided to join them.

I struggled. There’s no point in denying. I didn’t push the pace or distance. I was left behind a few times. We covered 1.5 miles, alternating between running and walking.

I was drained for the rest of the day and my muscles are sore today, however, I realised I liked it and it’s something I can do. It doesn’t take up much time and I don’t have to drive anywhere at a specific time to try to get into a lesson.

I promised myself to do it every day from now on. I need it and I can do it.

1. Good for you! This is important I think. I am on a mission to change too and I think as long as we make progress, then we are doing well!

I used to be very active so my love of food didn’t affect me that much. Now that I hardly do anything, it shows.
      We need to find what works best for us and put in the effort. I do for everything else and my health should be a priority. I hope you find your way too. ❤️

2. I should start exercising as well and it’s so important you have found the reason to do it.
    Motivation will help you achieve your goals! So happy for you!

I’m trying my best. I need to build on it because I prefer to be outdoors. I’ll get daughter to kick my butt! 😉

YES! The hardest step is often the first one, so well done. A great way to build up cardio fitness and stamina, plus stimulate the metabolism, is to do ‘1 min on, 1 min off’: walk for a minute, jog for a minute, repeat. Just count to 60 as you do either. You can start with 2 mins walk, 1 min jog, and aim to do for 10 or 15 or 20 mins- build up slowly. And make sure you have good supportive shoes. “Signed G, fitness and Pilates instructor in Australia”, xx

Thanks, G! I could do with Pilates lessons actually 😉 I’m not counting but I think it’s close enough. I went for another run yesterday and my legs are killing me but I want to go again today. 😊🤗

Go girl!! Creating a new habit is the key to long term fitness, and don’t stop after a month- weight loss takes time, as does increasing cardio fitness. And yes, I would be a fab Pilates teacher for you, but you can find good stuff on YouTube- look up Tracy Anderson- her basic stuff is a great place to start, but her harder stuff is really hard!

Thanks again! I’m not ready for really hard. Not even close! I’ll check her out and I hope to keep this up.

4. mr. f. grey says:

You’ve got this, keep it up! Your motivation lead me to do some searching about writing and exercise and I came across this, https://thewritepractice.com/run-writer-run/. “Move into creativity.” I love this concept! Sitting around waiting for it to happen doesn’t work for me and the runs that I take do foster amazing ideas and occasionally, naughty thoughts. I need to be careful though, too many naughty make keeping a steady pace difficult. 😉

😂😂😂 I believe you! Two weeks of running have resulted in my most inspired week ever! I pumped out seven chapters like it was nothing! I’ll carry on!

1. mr. f. grey says:

That is fantastic! I cannot wait to read the post running chapters.

They are PG. Hehehe! Currently available on Wattpad. 😋

5. BoxerDog1973 says:

Finding time to be consistent…….totally get it. Constant issue here too.

It’s tough. My ankle is playing up big time now. I can’t run at the moment but I’m still walking. I have to push through. 🙂

6. namcoicoder says:

You can take that if you have a treadmill in your house. It’s so convenient for your exercises.
    For more informations access this website: https://www.johnsonfitness.com.vn/en/danh-sach-san-pham/may-chay-bo.html