Anime Con

Last weekend Raven and I took a train to London to attend the Anime and Gaming convention.

It is nerdy, quirky, a little wacko and lots of fun.

She was Alice from Madness Returns and I was a modern day Assassin (yes, I mean Assassins Creed). Under my hoodie was a Tokyo Ghoul t-shirt I bought in the last Anime Con we went to.

That was in Manchester and barely husband wanted to join us. He was so awkward through it, cringing at the performances.

This time, it was just the two of us and we sang, danced, laughed, screamed and I even bid in the slave auction, leaving £55 for charity, taking 5 ‘slaves’ and giving Raven a blast.

We are already planning for the next one!

1. Donnalee says:

I love alternative conventions and have worked reading tarot at some in the US. I agree that it is a drag when someone attends who doesn’t *get* it and thinks it’s all freaky or exhibitionist–I’m glad you both had fun this time.

We love it! As I bid in the slave auction, my daughter’s excitement was palpable. Had her dad been there, we would never have done it. He takes it far too seriously.

1. Donnalee says:

Sometimes things are not as serious as you might think they have to be, you know? A ton of my tarot clients have alternative lifestyles, and also are into having fun. Sometimes having fun feels MORE important if the rest of your life is stressed and hard.

Exactly! We dress up, we’re not afraid of being silly. And it’s great when the people around you feel the same.

3. Donnalee says:

I also find the crowd very nonjudgmental about people’s body size or disabilities or gender situation or relationship etc. Folks dress up or don’t, express any kinds of inner self or gender expression or whatever, and it seems to work great. The cons I go to are more gothy/alternative than straight anime, but the feel is probably similar. Some of the same type folks would certainly attend.

I’m sure the feeling is the same. Everyone is there to have fun. Even if you don’t dress up (I didn’t on my first and only had an Anime t-shirt on the second) you are welcome. I see a lot of people attending for the first time. They are curious and respecting. That’s all you can ask for.

You should join us sometime. It’s great!

1. I’ll keep an eye out for the next one! Thanks!

2. Zara says:

Awesome!!! Looks like so much fun!

I love it! I plan to go whenever possible.

3. mr. f. grey says:

Looks like such a great time! Awesome that you made it this year.

It’s great! I’m already getting the bits for the costume I want to wear for the next one.