WRITING MILESTONE

I am celebrating today! My sweet story about love and fight against prejudice has surpassed 1000 reads on Wattpad. I could hardly believe my eyes when the counter reached 999. My heart was racing; I was so excited and I just couldn’t contain it. I kept on refreshing the page hoping someone (anyone!) would open the book that so needed extra time. I don’t even know how long it was, but it can’t have been that long then BOOM! The counter changed to 1K!

I was dancing around like a little girl and when I showed it to my daughter she hugged me so tight, with a huge smile on her face, that I could see very clearly how much it meant to her as well.

It’s still far from the most successful books that have millions of views and votes and I don’t know if it will ever get there, but it’s the first step. The story has found a few faithful readers, who have embraced the characters, their quirks and beliefs and for the first time I found myself being asked for updates.

If you don’t know how Wattpad works, anyone can create a free account and have instant access to the thousands of stories published there. There are some classics too – the ones that have become public domain, like my favourite book of all time, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte – but it’s mostly stories written by the users, covering all genres imaginable. They even had to create a category called RANDOM to fit a number of works that were not covered by the standard categories.

wattpad_logo_svg

Of course with it being so open, the quality varies greatly. There is a lot of rubbish, vast amounts of cliché and plain bad writing, but there are also beautiful stories, fun shorts, a lot of creativity and very promising young writers. I say young and I mean it: the average age is 20 and I feel very old sometimes and don’t instantly reveal my age. If I’m asked, I don’t lie. I also have to keep that in mind when I’m critiquing the works of a 17 year old writing teen fiction. I try to be honest, but take into account they will not have the same maturity as me, who’s old enough to be their mother! You have to carefully separate the teenage mind from the shitty writing.

For example: this author private messaged me asking me to read her book. We all get requests like this and, as courtesy, we often comply and agree to ‘exchange reads’. I go to her profile and , God help me, the blurb describes a story about a maid in love with a prince (cue Disney top cliché); OK, I sigh deeply and power through in the hopes the writing will at least be fun and flow.

The Prologue that follows leaves me extremely uncomfortable, with the said prince basically attacking the maid girl. She’s trying to get away from him, who’s apparently engaged to some other royal. He says (quote) “I don’t want her. I’m going to fuck you right now.” Those who read my blog know I’m not squeamish; I drink, I swear, I have sex and talk about it, but that screamed ‘rape’ to me. I carefully worded my comment to warn the writer and get this response: “Haha, it’s not rape. They love each other very much!” No, honey! My characters love each other very much. They respect each other! Your mind is just fucked-up! I removed said book from my library never to be seen again. Sorted!

Sorry for rambling about that, but I really had to let it out! Anyway, I had to adapt to Wattpad ‘customs’ to get here: shorter chapters, posted once or twice a week – very much like a blog – follow people, get followers and, above all, INTERACT! If you don’t read and comment or other people’s work, the chances of your work getting noticed are very slim. There are 100.000 story uploads every day! Granted, with 35 million unique visitors per month, someone is bound to like your style of writing and your story. You just have to work really hard at finding them!

mlyg

Shameless plug: my book is called ‘Make Love Your Goal’. It’s a love story told in a place where sexuality and sexual orientation still carry many taboos (basically anywhere in this world). The fight against prejudice and for acceptance is the main drive. If you like my blog, nothing will be unusual or offensive as I make my views very clear here. If you have some time, check it out!

1. tarnishedsoul says:

Awesome milestone! If I get the chance, I’ll take a look! ❤

1. MLYGhost says:

Thank you! It’s work in progress, but I’ll get there! 😍😍😍😍

2. MLYGhost says:

I have a confession to make: talking to a friend she advised me to give a backstory to one of the non-fictional characters. I drew inspiration from you and some of your posts to do it. If you make it that far into the story, I’m sure you’ll see the references. Hope you don’t mind… 😰😉😚😍

1. tarnishedsoul says:

You don’t know my real name, and this is the internet, so it’s sort of fair game, right? I do appreciate you telling me and now I am intrigued even more; but I am not offended…maybe a little honored. 🙂

2. MLYGhost says:

Thank you! 😍😘It would never come back to you as I didn’t copy your story. But I thought a lot about you while writing it and the things you we talked about. I hope you feel it’s a fair representation, especially of the feelings. I respect you and like you a lot, so you know. ❤💙💚💛💜

3. tarnishedsoul says:

Thank you! That means a lot to me. I thrive on respect…hehehehe…
        I’ll let you know what I think…I just read the prologue, so I probably have a ways to go, huh?

4. MLYGhost says:

Yes… quite a while😁😁😁

5. tarnishedsoul says:

I sent you a message through your contact page and I think I might be wrong about the guess…lol

6. MLYGhost says:

I replied ❤ you’re not wrong but you’re not there yet!

2. Wow that is so awesome. Congratulations my friend, I’m so excited for you and promise to check out wattpad and your book. You know I’m a fan and your passion for writing will continue to make any chapter a success. Hugs

1. MLYGhost says:

Thank you so much for your support! You know if it wasn’t for you the book would probably be gone or left behind. 😘😘

1. Nonsense 😉 what should be, will always find a way, but thank you for your always so kind words.

3. Congratulations!!! I’m really happy fo you! I’ll definitely check out your book on Wattpad! :):)

1. MLYGhost says:

Thank you! I am so happy! People are adding it to their favourites lists and all and I’m a bit… shellshocked???
      It’s a sweet story about the things I believe in and it’s a great feeling that it’s being accepted.
      ❤️